Best Ways How School Directs and Exercises Student’s Emotion
As the little ones enter the school on the first day, until the time they stay on the last day in the school premises, a child goes through a gush of emotions. The emotions can differ in specific areas, degree, and dimensions. We, as primary caregivers, need to train our little warriors to combat and develop their emotional quotient.
Here are the best ways how school directs and exercises student’s emotion
Accept and Acknowledge
Dealing with emotions can always be learned. However, before we handle others’ emotion we need a quick self-check. This self-check helps us to remember that we need to detach from our stressors and become more empathetic. Once that is done. There is no need to quickly fix any solution rather we just have to “L-I-S-T-E-N’’ to the child for finding out what exactly is troubling him/her.
Sometimes, the kid is just looking for some emotional support or a comforting shoulder and nothing more. Sharing helps them to release the built-up anxiety.
Hormones and emotions have umbilical connections. Yoga, medication, playing games, dance, music, sculpture, or any other form of art, helps to channelize the energy into a productive domain. At times, even letting the tear roll down helps to vent the building volcano and nip it in the bud.
Train child’s brain to invite positivity
A brain is a machine. It is directly proportional to what you are feeding on it. Whatever auto suggestions you give to yourself will have a direct impact on what you do.
Researchers show that the sooner we train our children to think in a positive direction or help them to look at the 360-degree approach, the better is their interpersonal relationships.
Thinking patterns and penning then down
We all have a pattern of thinking, feeling and acting. But when we are asked more question, we are able to diverge our thinking style from the regular convergent patterns. Helping the child think of causal-predictive analysis helps them to modify their thinking strategy. Questions like what, when why, who, whose, which and how helps to look at novel angles of any thought-provoking the situation.
Analysing pros and cons with a pen in hand has helped many students to clear the cloud. Some of the students have been found to even make graphic organisers to express their thoughts. This makes the child handle their emotions more realistically.
Emotions can be best handled when either there is new learning happening consistently or there is a sense of achievement. Each time a child is able to learn something new the neurons in the brain are activated and it makes a child feel a sense of achievement.
Role of the Parents
Parents as the founding institution of the child’s life, have to be very careful about the age-appropriate handling of emotions of themselves and of the child. Sometimes parents are able to settle the child and prepare them well. In case they are unable to, best is to take help from some trained persons at regular intervals rather than doing some permanent damages.
Training and development
Here are few valuable pointers one can find useful:
- SHP – School Health Program is a tailor-made program to develop the life skills in school, as part of their curriculum.
- LSES – Life Skills Enhancement Sessions are specialized sessions taken by trained counselors separately for boys and girls to handle the emotional challenges at various levels.
- PEP – Peer Educators Program is an intense training program to empower students to do early identification of their peers who are going through emotional turmoil. This program’s idea is to reach up to each child and no one is left out, who is struggling to cope.
- Community Outreach – Developing empathy, the dignity of labor and respect for everyone comes from the hands-on experience of giving.
- Wellness Club – The objective of the club is to spread wellness and create positivity in and around them.
- Special Sessions – Need-based sessions are being conducted on regular basis to ensure holistic development of all the stakeholders. These sessions are meant for parents conducted by the experts, we ensure the parents also trained to handle their and their children’s emotional clutters.
- Individual and Group Counseling – Sessions are taken for working at preventive, curative and therapeutic level.
- Handling Special Children – Every individual is different and they need to be handled accordingly.
We at DPSGV are following all the above, with whole heart and soul, all our respective teachers, students and the beloved parents ensure that apart from giving knowledge, attitude, and skills, we are creating holistic individuals who are aware, responsible and empowered.
*This article is contributed by one of our teacher, Ms. Sudeshna Nath, PGT & MA in Psychology, and a school counseller. She has been dealing with students, teachers, and parents, advising them her expertise since 2006. She is also on the panel of experts with NCERT, IGNOU, and CBSE Board.